So yeah, I don't think a marketer can tell me which book is a "cult classic" only because there's no way to know! How can a salesperson predict the future? I think it would be unfortunate if that term became just another piece of ad copy, just another trendy buzzword to apply to whatever flavor of the week someone in publishing is being paid to push.
- The Leopard, by Giuseppe di Lampedusa,
- The Sheltering Sky, by Paul Bowles,
- The Prestige, by Christopher Priest,
- Jesus' Son, by Denis Johnson, and
- The Master and Margarita, by Mikhail Bulgakov.
I had an idea to run a challenge based on 500 Essential Cult Books; any interest?