I think some of these things; I also think other things. Some of the things I think are:
- That instant sense of calm when I walk in. That instant sense of "this is for me, these are my people and this is where I belong."
- Where are the new releases? I have to go straight there and see what's out that I don't know about, and that I'm excited about.
- Staff picks! I love staff picks because it's fun to see what other book nerds love to read.
- What kinds of issues do they spotlight in nonfiction? This can be a great way to get a bead on a bookstore's (and a community's) interests and priorities.
- Hello, fellow bookseller! Bookstores with friendly booksellers get follow-up visits from Marie.
- Hopefully they have a café. I love bookstore cafés. And hopefully I can find a seat. Bonus points for ginger lemonade.
- Look at all paperback pretties. A good bookstore always has a great table of new and favorite paperbacks.
- Oh, there's that book I want. And that other one. And that other one.
- I swear I won't buy anything today. I mean I don't have to buy a book EVERY time I go. But I should support indie bookstores... it's my duty...
- That's a cool tote bag. But I don't need another totebag. Oh, you're going to give me one cause I just dropped a bundle in your store? Well, if you insist.
- Same for tee shirts. That one has a picture of a book on it! Sold.
- I could get it at the library, but I could do a lot of things.
You get the idea. What do you think in a bookstore?